A letter from Jefferson Elementary School principal, Susan Maurus:
Dear Jefferson Families and Community,
It has been my pleasure to begin this year, my first year as principal at Jefferson, getting to know you and becoming a part of this strong community of learners. I will continue to work this year with families and faculty to foster an atmosphere that promotes a learning community centered around academic excellence, leadership, trust, respect, community involvement, and most importantly, our students. I am committed to working in collaboration with all of our Jefferson families, students, and faculty to continue to develop and implement this shared vision.
We have many reasons to be proud of the work that we do at Jefferson. Some of our points of pride are:
- Over 200 years of combined teaching experience from our faculty! All Jefferson teachers are highly qualified and certified to teach elementary school.
- We are an NCA Accredited school. The South Redford School District was the first district in Michigan to receive district-wide NCA accreditation!
- Our Jefferson Community Council (JCC) has put on many activities to support Jefferson. From our annual Fall Festival to our Santa Shop, the JCC has put over $10,000 back into the school just this year!
- Building Healthy Communities Program, which supports our students' health through health lessons and assistance from Wayne State University and Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- A school vegetable garden where students grow, harvest, and eat vegetables as well as a school reading garden with plants, flowers and benches.
- School-wide practice of the 7 habits of highly effective kids and adoption of the Leader in Me program from Stephen Covey.
- Singapore math program with Math in Focus, emphasizing concept mastery, concrete-pictorial-abstract approach, metacognitive reasoning and model drawing to explain and justify thinking.
- Watch DOGS program, which encourages fathers and other positive male role models to be involved through volunteering their time to support our students.
- Best and Brightest Wellness Champion Award Winner- one of two schools in the state, and the only elementary school to win the award!
- $4000 grant from the United Dairy Industry of Michigan to promote health and wellness for our students.
- "A World in Motion" partnership with Detroit Diesel where students learn about engineering concepts and compete with other students in the area at Cobo Hall in the early spring.
- Positive Behavior Support throughout the school, where students are encouraged to make healthy behavior choices and earn privileges and rewards for doing so.
- Monthly celebration assemblies where students and classrooms are recognized for their accomplishments and leadership.
- Emerald Green School Status was achieved for doing activities throughout the school that contribute to students being environmental stewards. In 2013, we continue to do many school-wide practices to encourage environmental awareness, such as recycling, endangered species support, and a student-led Green Team.
As you can see, Jefferson is the place to be! We are so proud of the work we have done and will continue to do at Jefferson- because at Jefferson, learning is our work and everything we do puts students first!
Principal, Jefferson Elementary